Hello Everyone, I hope you’re doing well in the middle of pandemic Covid-19. Today I will share my experience when I’m doing migration from file server with iSCSI NAS connected. In my environment my old server using windows server 2008r2 and the new file server will be using windows server 2016. And I’m using NAS from Synology.
And here are the workaround that I used to migrate my server.
- The first thing that we need to do is installing the new server, and make sure all feature for File sharing are activated.
- After that backup/export the registry key on the old server, the registry key path that you need to backup are : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
- Copy the registry key backup to the new server
- Import registry key to the new server
- Shutdown the old server
- Change the new server name and IP address same like the old server
- After the change name server, you will need to restart the server but before you restart it , you need to connect the iSCSI to the new server.
- After iSCSI has been connected, restart the server
- and then Voila all your shared folder has been restore successfully
The registry key at #2 are the key for the this migration. As long as drive letter on the new server the same as on the old server it will work perfectly. I would hate to see you manually re-create hundreds of shares on a file server
ok I hope everyone who read this can successfully move their File server to the new version like I did. Thank you